The Oculus Rift has been priced at £500 and dated for a March 1 release

The Oculus Rift has been priced at $599 in the U.S and £500 in the UK and dated for a March 1 release.

Oculus' VR headset seems quite expensive, especially when you take into consideration that Tax and Shipping is not included, which brings the true cost up to $684/£530 (£30 UK shipping price). For that cost you get a Rift headset, sensor, Oculus remote, an Xbox One Controller, all the required cables, Lucky’s Tale and EVE: Valkyrie.

Remember, the motion controllers are not included and will be available separately for at least £100 upon release.

$599 is the same price that PS3 launched at in the U.S and we all know that went down rather badly.

Edited On 06 Jan, 2016

Comments
Neil 11 months ago
£500... I'll stick to real life for now
PHILIP 11 months ago
Yep.... same here... thats too bloody expensive
Lawler_1093's avatar
Lawler_1093 11 months ago
500 for what will most likely be a gimmick. I'll pass for now haha
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
I'm guessing a lot of places/people will import to save almost £100 - not like its going to be region locked.... I wonder what Sony are going to announce theirs at - Theirs require the PS4 camera (so thats an extra 50 if you dont' own one) but you don't need the controller. There is an article on another site where the head person is saying the Rift is cheap for what you get - Doesn't seem like it. Plus its version 1.0 retail - i'm sure they will get it out, find isues and issue a few hardware updates like they have with the dev kits so far
Neil 11 months ago
If you import and get hit with customs clearance / import taxes you'll be paying the same if not more (assuming from US to UK) plus the hassle of irritating returns processes / customer service etc. I don't think anyone should even be considering at the current prices. I hope the price falls once some competition starts ramping up
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
True, I think the only competition is the HTC one though isn't it - on the PC. I always though the Rift was Steam, but it isn't, thats the HTC one. A few of the Dev kits will probably start going on sale as people get rid to upgrade tot eh final ones - although some people are getting free upgrades arent' they?
Neil 11 months ago
I guess it depends on their agreements. The Kickstarter had various different tiers but that was a while back. The HTC one is the Steam / Valve one and likely the only true competitor. There's project Morpheus which is Sony's one but I heard they are limiting it to PS4 (mistake limiting it in my eyes) There were a few others I saw on Kickstarter a while back but unsure if they took off
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 11 months ago
£530. Forgetting the £30 p+p
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 11 months ago
HTC VIVE it is mate . htc one is the phone . but isnt vive just for mobile stuff . i dont know as not really looked into it
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
haha, thats what i mena! when i said HTC one, I meant it as in the HTC one - not the HTC one(1) :) forgot they had a phone called that!Just couldn't think of the name they had gave it. I thought the HTC headset (better way of putting it) was the steam one with the Rift being FB/MS one then there is Sony - the Samsung one is just for latest Samsung phones and looks crap tbh - watched a few vids on it - when watching a file it isn' even a 3D film - it is you, sat in a cinema, watching the film - so moving your head about to see the whole movie - whats the point? Plus the guy had to stop after 40 mins cos his phone was getting too hot and he didn't want to damage it! haha