Pachter 'New console generation to arrive in 2019/2020'

Popular analyst Michael Pachter has said that the current console cycle could be as short as six years, with a new PlayStation and Xbox hitting as soon as 2019.

Speaking on his 'Pachter Factor' show, he said that due to Xbox One and PS4 struggling to run games at 30fps, as well as the arrival of 4K resolution and virtual reality headsets that run at 90Hz, Pachter believes that the current generation of consoles won't be around as long as the Xbox 360 or PS3, which were around 7-8 years before the new consoles were announced.

"I would be surprised if we had a next-gen console in 2018; we might have one in 2019, so I think six years is likely," said Pachter. "We will have one by 2020, so I think seven years is a lock. So, lasting as long, probably not, but lasting longer than five years, probably so."

Pachter also added, "Once everybody has a 4K TV, I think that's when you get a console cycle where you actually make things that are in 4K."

Edited On 11 Jan, 2016

Comments
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
"once everyone has 4k" - Nobody I knows has bothered investing in 4k. I know a few - including myself, who went with 3D, but not 4k. I know its probably a lot better - but its not common, mainly because there isn't enough things that ustilise the technology. Only a handful of Blurays and services like Netflix - mainly the 4k is being used for Pc users with very high end systems. I see the PS4 and Xbox one not lasting as long, but not because of the 4k push, just because they were built to keep the costs down. One of the companies needs to do what they did with the Xbox 360 I think it was - sell for a loss the consoles so they can get the most powerful machine out there - even if they lose on it, they will probably make up for it in subscriptions and digital sales.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
Plus, the Rise of the NX could cause the turn-around to be faster, as Nintendo have the edge, getting a console out now, they know what their competition is, so technically they could out-do them for at least 3/4 years - however I dunno if they will do this as Nintendo seems to focus more on functionality than power
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
Also, one last thing - when the new consoles come out I would really like at least one of them to go for Digital only for getting games. With a digital only platform the store to buy the games will most likely be priced like Steam is as there is no overheads for manufacturing and no risk of second-hand sales so the RRP should be lowered in-line with the PC market. This was the main feature of the Xbox One that made me pre-order and then cancel my pre-order when they reversed their proposal. MS can't stick to what they say - they always give in and back down to the consumers. Unlike Nintendo who is willing to take risks and gives you the console and features that they created and then tweaked the services around what people want.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 11 months ago
Dont know whether youve noticed but there are 48 inch 4k TVs going now for under 400 quid . and not crappy branded . . 4k has just dropped massively in price and think a lot will choose 4k soon enough
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 11 months ago
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 11 months ago
theres a monster deal . phillips 43 inch 4k tv . £299. amazing price
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
That's pretty cheap. Too small for me though. I have a 51 atm, parents got a 42. Now I'm used to 51 I couldn't get a smaller TV. Plus mines 3d so wouldn't swap it out really. The 3d will get more use that 4k. Thing is though, unless they build a console to make a loss; they will have to charge like 800 for a console that's good enough for constant 4k 60fps or higher. Unless if things dramatically reduce in price in a few years. I just think they should try and optimise what they have now rather than bring another factor into things that will affect performance. 1080 for consoles is absolutely fine. Plus they would more likely stick to what the majority have, like how they have stopped 3d games because a lot of people didn't adopt it.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 11 months ago
As long as the next gen consoles will be backwards compatible with PS4 / Xbox ONE, otherwise I'm out, and will stick to the games and consoles I already have plus stick to PC gaming to keep up with the latest games. It would be easier to resell the Xbox ONE than xbox 360, due to having less games, if it was not for the majority of games being digital. PS4 and Xbox ONE are not being flooded with games like last gen, and people are moving to them a lot slower, with PS3 and Xbox 360 still going strong. I think they will be around a lot longer as I think the current gen consoles have a lot more going for them, they just have not been pushed enough yet. I do not see the point in releasing better hardware if devs do not have the time, money or resources to make the most out of it. Witcher 3 could have been better on PC if the devs put more time into it or did not do console versions.
Neil 11 months ago
I remember playing Alex Kidd in Miracle world on a hand me down 15" black and white TV...
leighboy's avatar
leighboy 11 months ago
defoo i brought my lg 4k ultra hd end of dec was £899 but brill for gaming as its so big nice 60 inch i loveit pics so much brighter
Craig 11 months ago
I disagree. I think this will be the longest lasting generation. The reason being is that the consoles haven't a massive list of games as yet, there is plenty in store. Also I believe the new consoles will be non-disc based. This meaning that games will need to be downloaded rather than bought in store. If that happens, I am definitely out