Update: Further source claims Sony's PS4K will be announced before PlayStation VR launch

Update 2: The Wall Street Journal has backed up claims that Sony will indeed release its PlayStation 4K and has even added new information, claiming it will be announced before the release of PlayStation VR in October.

Citing a source familiar with Sony’s plans, the newspaper says the company will continue manufacturing both versions, claiming that any games released in future will “likely” be backwards and forward compatible.

The PS4K is said to be a more powerful version of the PS4, allowing users to play 4K games and movies from disc and digital download. With Netflix allowing support for 4K, this would give PS4 a big advantage in the entertainment field, and with it being a 4K Blu-Ray player would also likely be one of the cheapest around.

If the announcement is to happen before October then we suspect E3 to be the source of such a reveal.

Update: Eurogamer has revealed that has “independently established that" Sony's PlayStation 4K console "is real”, and it seems that Sony are referring to it as PlayStation 4K internally.

The site has reported on the possibilities open to Sony, although it seems to come to the conclusion that the specs needed would come at a significant cost.

“Everything we've heard positions PlayStation 4K as a machine capable of playing current and next-generation ultra HD media, while also offering support for other aspects of the 4K spec, such as high-dynamic range and a wider colour gamut - aspects of the 4K spec that could be introduced to gaming,” it states. “However, in terms of additional computational power, we've got be realistic about what Sony can deliver with a mid-generation refresh.

“We can say that with some degree of certainty because PlayStation 4K will almost certainly use an evolved version of the APU technology used in the current console. Once again we will see semi-custom versions of AMD's CPU and GPU technology integrated into a single, console-friendly processor, and thanks to the firm's openness with its technology roadmaps, we have a good idea of the base building blocks Sony has access to in building its next PlayStation.

“Knowledge of both of these areas, along with the idea that the device has to fit into a console form-factor, not to mention the compatibility required with the existing PlayStation 4, narrows the amount of options Sony has available significantly.”

What do you think of this latest update? Are you keen on Sony releasing a new 4K ready console?

Original: It is being reported by Kotaku that Sony is currently planning a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at 4K resolution.

According to Kotaku, which cites "sources," it's currently unknown if existing PS4 owners will be able to upgrade or if they’ll have to buy an entirely new device to benefit from the power boost. It's even claimed that Sony has already started briefing developers.

Apparently the ‘PS4.5 or PS4K as we are calling it,’ will include an upgraded GPU for support of 4K resolution for games and add more processing power to enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR.

When Kotaku contacted Sony, it only replied with, “We can’t comment on rumors or speculation,” which is the usual response when responding to anything. It seems that the rumours stem from multiple developers, which adds credence to the fact that this could very well be true. It's also reported that Sony held meetings with developers about the hardware and how it would work, while Keza MacDonald of Kotaku also overheard some developers casually talking about the machine while in line at GDC. They mentioned the name ‘PS4.5K’ and discussed its increased horsepower, mentioning both 4K resolution and PlayStation VR.

If this did turn out to be true it makes you wonder how people who already own the console would react. Will Sony allow people to trade in their existing PS4s to buy the new machine? Could some games only support the new machine or would they be downgraded if playing on the old machine. Most importantly, how does Sony manage to sell PS4K without fragmenting the market? Apple seems to manage to release new iPhones and still support the older versions without too much hassle, so perhaps it is possible.

What do you think of this rumour?

Edited On 28 Mar, 2016

Comments
opt1mus76's avatar
opt1mus76 9 months ago
As long as the additional features are not to the detriment of current users it isn't really an issue on the other hand, Microsoft suggested that their proposed updated consoles will improve software for those with latest hardware whilst those with older consoles will, in theory, have a lower quality experience. That could lead to two tier (or more) gaming where online play is significantly improved for those with newer consoles.. I would hope that it would not lead to that but time will tell
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 9 months ago
I think of it more like Apple. When you buy a new iPhone you notice the difference in quality, but it doesn't really affect the older phones that much I don't think.
Neil 9 months ago
So yea, it's been pointed at but, what about my current PS4, Sony?
opt1mus76's avatar
opt1mus76 9 months ago
I see your reasoning Joe, but we don't upgrade consoles with the same, somewhat alarming, frequency that we do with phones. Mobile phones have become an almost disposable short-term commodity that is superceded way too quickly. Consoles evolve throughout their life but I wouldn't consider them 'throw away' in the same way as a phone and the evolution is usually just more compact. Phones are seemingly following a reverse trend by getting bigger
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 9 months ago
I agree that we don't want to have to upgrade all the time. Saying that, MS and Sony always release a new version of their consoles anyway, such as the slim versions. If they release a slightly upgraded console therefore what's the harm, as long as the other consoles remain just as relevant.
Massey's avatar
Massey 9 months ago
for God's sake can't they just let people enjoy their consoles I am not paying another £300 just to upgrade my console forget it I will stick to the one I've got thank you Sony
jaijai's avatar
jaijai 9 months ago
So not only do they want around 400 for a VR headset they now want to push a " for the full PS experience you need another 300 plus console " How absolutely fucking ridiculous So much for the 10 year cycle whats it been now 3 years MONEY MONEY MONEY
Lawler_1093's avatar
Lawler_1093 9 months ago
well, this goes to show that both Xbox and Sony knew they released underpowered consoles from the start. didn't this happen with the Sega Saturn? I'm sure I read Sega did this with one of their consoles and it flopped massively
spaceninjaUK's avatar
spaceninjaUK 9 months ago
It would have to be packed with loads of new features for me to go out and buy another ps4
MICHAEL 9 months ago
Ive got my pc for 4k. I bought fallout 4 on the ps4 and the pc to check out the game in 4k and it looks amazing in 4k. 1080p does seem old hat. And although the game is the same on both systems it feels and plays nicer in 4k at 60fps. But i still play the ps4 version as in 70% completed the achievements.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 9 months ago
I wont be happy if this is true based on what was said above about it helping out with the VR more. If this is the case i'll happily cancel the VR headset and just stick to standard games. I know I got eh new 3DS and I want them to bring out more new 3ds only games, but as seen, Hyrule warriors is supposedly crappy on the old 3ds but decent on the new one - This will happen to PS4 games if it goes this way. The 'Slim' consoles and re-releases/designs of the past were just making the same power hardware more compact and nicer to look at without changing the core inners. This sounds like a mandatory upgrade if you are wanting to play the latest games the way they were designed to be played!
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 9 months ago
I like the idea of an upgraded PS4. The few factors that I would need to consider before I bought one would be: price, the quality of the upgrade (how big a difference would the upgrade make), and lastly if there would be many games released to take advantage of the upgrade.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 9 months ago
I have not upgraded my phone since 2001. I have upgraded my Xbox ONE each year so far. 2013 I got Day One version, 2014, I bought the 1TB Advanced Warfare console, and 2015 I traded in the 1TB AW console for the 1TB Elite Console - I got £200 for the AW console, as the elite controller cost £120 individually, so the console was just £80, giving a faster HDD and another years warranty, so seemed a good choice. I do not mind upgrading consoles. All tech upgrades fast, my PC I built in 2012 plays the Division smoothly but looks like a PS1 game.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 9 months ago
The only reason why consoles stay around longer and do not upgrade faster, is because they do not have the tendency to be backwards compatible.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 9 months ago
I don't think there will be much need to keep upgrading as long as thought is put into them. The PS4 and Xbox ONE were probably released a year or two too early, and only came because the PS3 and Xbox 360 had been around a long time, but new consoles were not really need just then. If the new upgrades means they can handle 4K and games be 1080p 60fps with ease then should be good for a long while
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 9 months ago
@supernice, thats the problem though - youself, you have upgraded the console each year but due to visual reasons really as technically you have changed the look of it, the controller and the Hd (not sure if you can manually change that yourself in an xbox one yet) so no drastic upgrade as such. If they were to do this you will find games coming out where they will concentrate on getting to work on the new version and not bothering with the original version, so games which run like crap on the 13 million consoles already out there. They would have to run a pretty good upgrade plan and a way of easily transferring data from one machine to another as you can't just swap the HD's (I have a 2tb drive literally full of downloaded digital games, I wouldn't be happy if I had to re-download all of them again).
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 9 months ago
I can see a new model with the new HDMI to support 4k movies, like how the Xbox 360 evolved to have the HDMI port over the silly one you got with it to begin with. But in regards to enhancing the games - I believe they will cause a lot of people to get annoyed with them if they decide to do that. Slimming and making it look better is good, splitting the consumers isn't
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 9 months ago
Nah Sony don't think for one second you can play this player??? They won't offer a discount or any incentive whatsoever for people to upgrade Sony don't give a 5h!t do they, I really hope this VR slaps em back in the face, remember what happens when you get to cocky Sony???
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 8 months ago
If you think you'll be able to game in 4K you are mistaken. It'll just be native 4K support on apps and stuff. Youtube, netflix etc..
Bunglefluff's avatar
Bunglefluff 8 months ago
Like i said the other day......4k needed for a decent Playstation VR experience. I'm fairly certain that's why they are doing it. But to play games on a PS4 in 4K, it will have to be a major upgrade.
Neil 8 months ago
4K for VR??? The headset is a resolution of 1920x1080, what do you mean?
Bunglefluff's avatar
Bunglefluff 8 months ago
For the best VR experience. 4k is really needed, otherwise there is quite bad screen door effect. I work for a famous F1 team and we have started building another racing simulator with Oculus, which has a consumer resolution of 2160 x 1200 and there is still significant screen door effect. So if PSVR has a lower resolution of 1920x1080 (960x1080 per eye), I can't see how it will not have the screen door effect. A higher resolution of 4k in the headsets will probably get rid of this effect. Oculus know this, which is why they are now developing a 4k headset.
Bunglefluff's avatar
Bunglefluff 8 months ago
I think the PS4 is having problems running PSVR on its headset with a resolution of 1920x1080 hence PS4.5
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 8 months ago
sounds like what I thought - a 4k version to allow 4k media. not 4k games or 4k VR(which will not be possible on any console this gen). I'm okay with that as I have no desire to play one of the 12 or so 4k blurays. So as long as it doesn't affect current owners of the PS4 then I see this as an expensive/Cheap(don't know how much stand alones are) upgrade to a 4k bluray player
Massey's avatar
Massey 8 months ago
the ps4 does not need an updated console sony are as bad as Microsoft all they want is money money money they are so full of crap now I don't listen any more
PHILIP 8 months ago
I have no desire for 4k at the moment so won't need this upgrade.
CHRISTOPHER 8 months ago
why didn't they do this in the first place
PHILIP 8 months ago
^ Most probably likely to keep cost of the hardware down so as to be competitively priced in the market at the time. Which worked to be fair as sales easily outnumbered the Xbox one and erm.... probably just beat the Wii U sales too :-)
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 8 months ago
I imagine Sony are also keen to compete with Nintendo NX too. What if that is 4K compatible?
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 8 months ago
I doubt Nintendo will make it 4k tbh. The rumour was that it was just a bit more powerful than a Xbox one, so less than a PS4. Personally I couldn't care less about 4k in a console. I'm happy with my 1080p 3dtv and the quality 'most' games produce (fed up with pixel games, its all indies seem to want to release these days!). So even if they did bring out a 4k one i'm not gonna run out and buy a new TV and a new console just so I can play a handful of new Blurays (which are crap - look them up, most were shot in 2k or less and just upscaled) - I think Sony just wants to have the 4k bluray functionality before MS does, not that it will help them sell more consoles for the reason above.....
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 8 months ago
I'm interested to hear more about ''PS4K''. I don't think it will produce 4K gaming because most PC's struggle to do this, but it might have upscaling and be able to run 4K Netflix. If it exists, I wonder how much it would cost on release date?
Bunglefluff's avatar
Bunglefluff 8 months ago
lol. 4k gaming......i don't think so, maybe basic, undemanding games, not AAA titles. 4K Netflix yes.
Neil 8 months ago