PS4K is codenamed Neo, provides extra power but no exclusive games - Report

Yet more rumours of PS4K have appeared, this time codenaming the new Hardware revision as ‘Neo’ and claiming that it features a faster CPU, GPU and memory.

While developers will be able to take advantage of the improved hardware, there will be no PS4K exclusive games for the new machine. We also know, thanks to ‘multiple sources’ of GiantBomb (via Develop) that the PS4K will boast improved specs over the PS4, with the original's clock speed of 1.6GHz becoming 2.1 GHz in the PS4K, while its AMD GCN GPU will be doubled from 18 CUs running at 800MHz to 36 CUs at 911MHz.

The PS4K will include 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, which is the same as the original console, but will process data at a faster rate of 218GB/s. An extra 512MB of memory will also be provided for devs, while the HHD will remain at 500GB.

Interestingly, games released from October must include both a ‘Base Mode’ and ‘Neo Mode’ to adjust to each console’s ability. Developers will also be stopped from offering exclusive content to PS4K owners and all past and future digital content will be accessible from both machines. As rumoured, the new PS4 will have 4K output, meaning that 4K TV owners should expect the PS4K to upscale games to fit the format, although 'NEO Mode' must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

Developers will be able to patch existing PS4 games to take advantage of 'Neo Mode' on PS4K, with titles released in late September and onwards requiring a day one update to support the new hardware.

So what do you think? It sounds pretty exciting to us and we're glad that rumours suggest that this new machine will not affect existing owners, because games will continue to run as they do now. If you want the extra boost then it is completely optional.

Edited On 19 Apr, 2016

Comments
listerdaleo's avatar
listerdaleo 8 months ago
sounds alright depending on price, but 500gb isnt enouth these days... so thats really disapointing
PHILIP 8 months ago
I am all for moving on with the times/upgrading etc Joe but I know if I was playing a game it would be a pisser knowing it COULD be looking better... just like when I used to use the PC as a games machine... I'd be playing with the knowledge that I have had to drop the graphics due to my inferior graphics card. I get what you're saying yes it IS optional but its gonna be a case of seeing it advertised rubbing it in "look how much better features the NEO version has to offer"... May be same frame rate but if it looks far more shinier on a newer PS4 it would force me to upgrade. It's like games remastered for Ps4 from Ps3 now... we buy them cause they look better for taking advantage of the Ps4 hardware... Only now it will could be a case of Ps4 games with upgraded visual features only if you have a Neo. Sorry if any spelling mistakes I am in the dentist waiting room and typing on my phone :-)
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 8 months ago
I get where you are coming from, but Sony are a business and want to make money. You don't have to upgrade but if you do because you feel you need to then I doubt Sony would complain really. They aren't doing anything that any other tech company doesn't do, except the other tech companies do it on a yearly basis. When it comes to tech things move on quickly, even more in recent years. We have to accept that really or stick with what we have already.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 8 months ago
just waiting on the pre orders ready to buy , better looking games with smoother frame rates sounds good
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 8 months ago
Dark, theres already something out there that does this!... A PC.
PHILIP 8 months ago
@joe I know... Like you say end of the day its a business and I guess if Microsoft does it and Sony doesn't - it may sway more people to shift to Xbox so to keep moving forward does make sense but surely you must agree - at least give a bloody bigger Hard drive ?
PHILIP 8 months ago
@joetoots I get you about a PC but a powerful gaming system is not in everyones budget. I just prefer having a console playing on a larger screen in the comfort of my lounge. Had a go on my friends steam controller and I didn't like it. And like the PC, console systems get exclusives... like you have an Xbox1 for the upcoming Gears of War 4 ? As long as we get enjoyment thats the main thing whatever we choose to own or upgrade I guess.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 8 months ago
I have a feeling that I will more than likely cancel my PSVR order and just get a PS4k instead. I'm not gonna be happy with the games if they have been more optimised for the new mode than the original so I'll have to upgrade. I'm guessing they will allows for 15mm HD's as well seeing as they now support 4TB but the slot in the existing PS4 only takes up to 12.5mm HD's
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 8 months ago
totally agree but if you want the ultimate gaming experience then PC is the only way to go. I don't anymore and i'm happy with my fifa so ill stick with fifa.
PHILIP 8 months ago
@turnip I feel the same about upgrading I know what I'm like but if you still get the VR and decide you dont like it you'll get your money back as long as you sell it on ebay before Xmas. That's what I am gonna do anyway cause I worry it will give me headaches.
PHILIP 8 months ago
@toots lol if I was any good at Fifa I'd challenge you some day but it would be a complete disaster :-)
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 8 months ago
A bigger HDD would be good, though I presume I can use my current 2TB in the new machine. So I'm happy :D
Bunglefluff's avatar
Bunglefluff 8 months ago
It sounds more and more like PS4.5k has been created for PSVR, so it can be used at 1080p at very high frame rates, this will give a normal, stable experience at 90fps. I think PS4 is gonna struggle with PSVR. It just cant achieve 90fps at 1080p on a normal, semi demanding game. A 500GB hard drive is terrible. It needs to be at least 2TB. 500GB was too small 2 years ago.
sdoolan's avatar
sdoolan 8 months ago
I think Sony are just capitalising on the shortening space between console and PC gaming. PC's games all have an array of graphics settings and resolutions, something that console gamers have never really had because of standard hardware. I'm not sure a whole new console is the best idea but its a step in the right direction. The best way to approach it would be to release a modular console on the next cycle. Similar to how we have upgradeable hard drives now. Release the console as a "base" console which is relevant for the time of its release and then give optional addon units periodically so that gamers who want to can spend more money and keep the best graphics and highest resolutions. Others who are happy just playing a game regardless of visuals can stay with the base. PC gamers play games to their budget already where as console gamers are either forced to stretch their budget to the console price, or spend less than they would on a gaming PC and wish they could upgrade their old hardware 2 or 3 years down the line, rather than just get the new slimmer, lighter, or shinier version of the same hardware. With a bit of experience as to how games are made, most current engines support various different graphical presets so all they'd have to do is have some form of hardware detection that can set the game to the detail level of the hardware.