Xbox One S won't give your games a boost, says Microsoft *update*

Update: Yesterday, Rod Fergusson told Polygon that the Xbox One S would help increase performance of Gears of War 4, however this has been played down by both Albert Penello and Phil Spencer.

Speaking to Eurogamer Xbox planning lead Albert Penello said that the increase in power is barely worth talking about.

“When we made changes to the box for 4K we unlocked a little bit more processing power to enable HDR,” he told the site. “That’s it. It’s exactly the same architecture as the existing one.

“To support HDR, we give people access to a little more CPU and GPU. That’s it. It is so insignificant it is mind boggling it is being picked up. I promise, it won’t even show up. It will have no impact on games at all."

Phil Spencer later also reiterated these claims, saying, "It was designed to play Xbox One games exactly the same way your existing Xbox One does. The one definitive feature that's different is HDR. So, with the increased HDMI capability, it has the ability to support high dynamic range.

"I will say - and I've been asked about this - and I'm not trying to dodge the question, you should expect it to play your games the same way an Xbox One does. We did not design this to play Xbox One games better than the original Xbox One console."

Original: It's being reported that the new Xbox One S has additional raw GPU and CPU power compared to the Xbox One.

Polygon reports that the new console as well as providing 4K video and high dynamic range support, also has additional raw power. Coalition studio head Rod Fergusson says this will allow the Gears of War developer to improve surface detail on things like metal and armor and will also provide a more consistent level of technical performance as well.

"Gears of War 4 employs a dynamic resolution system that tweaks the game's rendering resolution in both single-player and multiplayer to maintain its target frame rate in each mode (30 frames per second and 60 fps, respectively)," says the site.

"According to Fergusson, the Xbox One S has additional raw GPU and CPU power compared to the Xbox One, and The Coalition's engineers have been able to take advantage of that to reduce the frequency of frame rate or resolution penalties in more demanding sections of the game."

You can pre-order the Xbox One S from ShopTo today.

Edited On 15 Jun, 2016

Comments
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 6 months ago
Put my order in last night sounds decent
FeedTheOcelot's avatar
FeedTheOcelot 6 months ago
Looks good but project scorpio looks better
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
should it be £299 seeing as it is $299? I would have thought about 250 over here including the VAT.
Wicksy1970's avatar
Wicksy1970 6 months ago
Any news as to whether Microsoft will be releasing a black version as well as a white version? Really don't want a white console sat on my TV unit.
wozza55's avatar
wozza55 6 months ago
Zavvi have it for £250 for 500gig version hopefully shop to will follow
Simon 6 months ago
I thought going slim would bring the price down below what current one is. I don't really see point of this one though when only year away from Scorpio which will be inferior console. Carrying on will this give advantage for multiplayer games over the original console? if so isn't it unfair though if ppl can't really afford this one but want to play same games and are getting beat bad because they haven't upgraded?unsure about both this and ps neo why not just do slim, cheaper version like last gens and have these as the next consoles?I'm on the fence wife would need alot of convincing ????
Jason 6 months ago
If my wife told me i wasnt getting a console id show her the door to be fair. I earn a living so I can my luxurys in life
Richard 6 months ago
Defies business logic a little though expecting people to buy this then a third consol when the Scorpio comes out , to say i'd be a tad upset if I had bought the first X box 1 at £450ish then being teased with new consols which potentially are cheaper and better is an under statement.. still there is always someone to get on the merry go round for both Microsoft and Sony
Jason 6 months ago
Why would you be angry a slims out? Ive had my xbox one coming up 3-4 years its hardly an issue. Ill just wait for Scorpulus cant see an issue anywhere, but i agree about the slim dont really see the point i presume its just to go alongside the Neo and give 4k tv viewing and a couple o other minor things. No harm though this is an option your being told to buy it, options are always good. Id be more worried if I was a ps4 owner and now they want me to by a new ps4 and vr and knowing that next year theres another console much more powerful much better and much better vr kinda makes everything playstation obsolete unless your a die hard sony fan
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 6 months ago
The S is £250 for 500GB and the Scorpio will probably be around £400. I guess MS brought out the S to compete with the Neo, but also did the Scorpio too. With these 2 it now gives people choices, can either save money on the S if don't care about playing the best or if you do then can splash out and get Scorpio. It is a bit annoying with S being a bit more powerful, as would make the wait for Scorpio the easy choice to make, now debating whether to get this or not.
Richard 6 months ago
I guess like most things its all about choice and opinions every one is valid on some level , it's just what resonates best with you ( i.e the consumer )
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
I'd guess the Xbox 2 is going to be more like 500-600 and about 800-1000 with the VR headset included tbh.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
I guess they had to give this update to avoid people buying it and realising its the same machine - I didn't think it would enhance the games any more - although the HDR setting will obviously look nicer on games.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 6 months ago
I probably will not bother with this now, especially if it does not have a SSHD / fast HDD.
PHILIP 6 months ago
Still looks nice and great for people who wish to try out the xbox yet rather than buy the bulkier version but I would'nt bother if you already have one. I will keep my original model and maybe update to the Scorpio if a large selection of exclusives grab me. I know the Wii U is considered a low powered unit now but look how fantastic the new Zelda looks ? Xbox1 and Ps4 both have awesome games and already ooze fantastic graphics and gameplay and importantly surely gameplay IS the important thing. I could play a super duper 4k jaw dropping visual stunning title showing detail right down to split ends on a characters hair and pigmentation on their skin but if it plays like shit then it will be just polished shit. I remember seeing Lair on the Ps3 in Gamestation a few years back and I was blown away by the graphics and bought it instantly - when I got home I was totally pissed off cause it played awful with the tilt controls.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 6 months ago
Kidding yourself if you think it is going to be £400. It will either be massively underpar or the market will have too an unexpected sudden surge to the cheap.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 6 months ago
Who knows what the hardware prices will be next year? The 4K TVs were not in my price range last year for one, now I could buy 2! I do not see it being (much) over £500. The S is releasing for £250 shortly and may be £200 next year, then that will be more than twice price for Scorpio. It does not seem like it will be high end 4K as Eurogamer stated that PCs with slightly less specs than Scorpio struggled to achieve 4K 30FPS, but if devs could get to grips with the hardware as was seen with Forza Horizon 3 then could get it going but would not be surprised if devs just stick to upscaling 1080P/60FPS. If they managed to get it to do 4K / 60FPS then it will cost way more than 500.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 6 months ago
One thing with the S is that the power brick is in the machine, which is better, but others have pointed out that it could cause over heating problems / noisy console.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 6 months ago
Also my price predictions are based on a 500GB version, add £100 for a 2TB version.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
@super, I doubt it will be less than 2/4tb tbh. With 4K textures a 500gb will be gone after about 5/6 games. Would be nice if they allowed you to swap out drives rather than locking them inside.
bazzy2005's avatar
bazzy2005 6 months ago
Well if you got a 4k tv this is a cheaper way of getting uhd bluray drive as the cheapest standalone is the samsung at £429.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 6 months ago
@Joe, will you be stocking the 500gb version of this console? I can only find the 2tb version on shopto
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 6 months ago
I would buy a 500GB Scorpio, and then attach the 5TB external HDD with all my games on to it from the standard Xbox One. It only cost me £100 for 5TB, £100 for 1.5 TB is a rip off plus 2TB is still not enough and would need external anyway. With the exception of the Elite Xbox One, and unless remedied with the Scorpio, the external HDDs are actually faster than the Xbox ONEs internal HDDs. The 500GB S consoles are already sold out.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
I'm sure a few people would do what you would in order to keep costs down - however Sony and Microsoft probably will want your money so they will more than likely up the initial HD size and account for that in the cost. The 500 gig Scorpio would be as useful as the 8gb or even the 32gb woo u!
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
Obviously my phone wants to call the wii u a woo u....
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 6 months ago
I am sure that I saw a news article stating that the Scorpio would have 500GB or I could have gotten confused with the S, but I am sure MS would do it to keep costs down, and make it affordable. If they add too many costly components then it will make it too expensive and not sell. Most Xbox ONE users do have external HDDs so seems one area MS can cut down costs, they may not even bother with a HDD greater than 500GB, if you want more then can buy more. If the console ends up costing more than £500, more than double the cost of a standard Xbox ONE then it will not sell. It may also be why it is releasing next year and not this year to wait for hardware costs to drop. PS4 and Xbox ONE were announced at E3 2013 and released holiday 2013, Scorpio announce E3 2016 and released holiday 2017. If you are worried that Xbox will take the lead in the console war, and trying to put people off going for a Scorpio with suggestions of stupid high prices, then don't worry, Gamespot have stated that Sony are working on a more powerful console following an interview from Sony executive Andrew House with CNBC. It will probably end up being more powerful again. Every few years we will get new more powerful PS4s and Xbox ONEs, as Sony and MS try and be number one. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-expects-playstation-vr-shortages-discusses-mo/1100-6440910/?ftag=GSS-04-10aab3j
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 6 months ago
preordered and cant wait, this is gonna save me having to buy a uhd 4k blu ray player :)
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
@super - I'm not worried they will take over anything :) Because I don't believe they will/can. Not with the comments Phil has been saying and the lack of a reason for 40m people to change console brand. I really don't think Sony needs to change anything in the Neo either, they guarantee all new games are 1080/60 and older games can be enhanced as well (something MS haven't said will be done) - so I see nothing for Sony to be worried about - they are just not going to show the console until they have an actual one to showcase with an optimised game - just showing the hardware would have been pointless seeing as people want to see a comparison - if they officially released specs then Eurogamer would just release a load of speculative results - so I guess they are playing it safe by saying nothing and showing nothing yet.