Project Scorpio has been defined as new generation to the Xbox One, but Xbox One owners won't be left behind

Project Scorpio has been defined as new generation to the Xbox One and PS4, by Phil Spencer, however he adds that this time it won't affect those left behind.

"When you see things like 4K coming, I want to make sure that we create a part of the Xbox One family that supports 4K but doesn't have you feel like you're leaving all the content investment that you made in the platform itself," Spencer told GamesIndustry.

"So that's what we think about the generations differently. 4K I think you can say will be a generation, but unlike in previous consoles, we don't want you to have to feel like you left behind the experience you had."

Spencer also told the site that "if you're an Xbox One customer, and you want to continue to build your library and buy and play games, if and when you decide 4K and Scorpio is for you, we'll be there. And if you never do, you're a great customer for us. I don't need to abandon you in any way. In fact, I want to keep you as happy with your Xbox One as you've ever been. So that's what we think about Xbox One and Xbox One S and Scorpio as all part of one family."

It's currently thought that no games will be exclusive to Scorpio, so if you don't decide to upgrade you'll still get the same games as Xbox Scorpio owners, just not in 4K. Although things can change.

Edited On 15 Jun, 2016

Comments
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
no games will be exclusive - except VR ones :P - someone mentioned this on the Eurogamer Forum
SilverShane's avatar
SilverShane 6 months ago
VR is awful anyway no interest in it at all ... give it a year or two and it ll be forgotten about just like 3D and Kinect etc, as for Scorpio Iv no problems upgrading to it now I know you lose out on nothing but gain the extra power and 4K detail and by selling the old Xbox one itself helps offset the cost a little
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 6 months ago
Don't forget the cost of a 4K TV which is currently over 1k for a decent sized one. Also, I don't expect Scorpio to be cheap with those specs, we could be talking £700 + unless it has compromises somewhere in the hardware.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
Joe, I'm waiting for the Xbox + Occulus bundle price to appear :) I'm guessing that wont be cheap - by then Occulus will probably be on v2.0 so I wonder if they will bundle v1.0 with it. Its interesting how the S doesn't have the Kinnect in it - I wonder if I was right and all the TV parts are stripped out as well to make it smaller as they are no longer going down that route?
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 6 months ago
4K TVs are not that expensive now, last month received email from ebuyer with a 42" and 4 x HDMI sockets for about £350 but is now £250, (http://www.ebuyer.com/719882-seiki-se42ua01uk-42-ultra-hd-4k-led-tv-se42ua01uk) this will suit me unless there is anything wrong with it. By next year they will be a lot cheaper again. I bought a 3D TV with 3 HDMI last year for £350, and thought that was a good price. Even if the S or Scorpio was not coming, I still would have bought a 4K TV for Neo just to play 4K media. If the Neo arrives this year, and if I get it, I will get 4K TV this year.
PHILIP 6 months ago
I think its a great move Microsoft still including people that do not decide to upgrade. Good news for everyone. As superniceguy has said the price of 4k sets has come down considerably too :-)
SilverShane's avatar
SilverShane 6 months ago
My dad just got a 43" 4K tv for £700 LG make too
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
I don't see the benefit of myself upgrading my TV yet - I have nothing that runs in 4k, most of the blurays out for it at the moment are simply upscaled and not true 4k anyway and I don't pay any streaming sites/sky for 4k feeds. I'm happy with my 1080 3dtv :) Plus, with the push for VR - will people even use their TV as they will all be wearing headsets!
Jason 6 months ago
I got a Samsung 55" for £1700 lovely tv and incredible picture I use it for Netflix and Sky Q and watching vodeos recoreded on my mobile and camera although the 4k part of Sky Q doesnt go live till next month. All I need is scorpio and my tv will be well used indeed with 4k , gonna skip ps4k as a new console to watch upscaled movies does not interest me btter waiting for the real deal with scorpulus
SilverShane's avatar
SilverShane 6 months ago
Oh yeah billions of people will just get rid of their TVs and buy a VR headset because everyone is that into technology .... Yes of course people will still use their TVs for all the things they use them for now as a lot of people don't like VR and won't buy or use VR and some don't fancy sitting in their house wearing a stupid VR headset looking like a prat
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 6 months ago
Samsung Ju6400 was got at John Lewis for only £420. 4k Tvs are very easily affordable mow.