Sony expecting a shortage of PlayStation VR at launch

Sony has said that it expects a shortage of PlayStation VR consoles come launch and has therefore urged those who are desperate to get on board day one to pre-order as soon as possible.

Andrew House told CNBC that not being able to accurately predict consumer interest in virtual reality one of the reasons that shipments may be smaller than demand.

“We have growing confidence that we’ll be supply constrained with this product, but we’ll do our very best to meet demand,” said House.

“Virtual reality is a medium that’s in its infancy. With such a nascent, very new form of storytelling, it’s difficult to predict what user uptake is going to be.”

PlayStation VR is due to release on October 13 and you can pre-order from ShopTo for £349 for the stand alone unit, although day one delivery is no longer guaranteed for this bundle if you have't pre-ordered already. You still have a chance to get PlayStation VR though with our PS Camera bundle. You'll need to be quick though.

It's worth noting that you will need the PlayStation Camera for PlayStation VR to function with your PS4 system.

Find out more details on the release date, launch line-up and other features of PlayStation VR here.

Edited On 15 Jun, 2016

Comments
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 6 months ago
Ive got the camera bundle on order with you guys (with my gold discount) but I really don't know what to do - I can't see myself using it that much. I am supposedly getting it day one though, so if there is a shortage would it be beneficial to get it and see if I'm going to use it and if not just re-sell? hmmmm. I really don't know
Jason 6 months ago
There expecting a shortage, are they only making 25? Theres one freed up as I cancelled mine as im going Rift/Scorpulus for a greater expereince.
PHILIP 6 months ago
Yet another Sony hater on a Sony news feed.. Why do people feel the need to slag off other consoles ? Idiot
Jason 6 months ago
Its not hate I own a PS and had a VR ordered, but it seems logical to me instead of dropping 350 on a ps4k and 350 on psvr i can wait a year and have a better VR and a much better system in the Scorpulus/Rift. Not hate kid common sense unless your a sony fanboy and cant see the wood for the trees, think your the one with hate in his belly...idiot!
PHILIP 6 months ago
You own a Ps ? Really ? And yet you posted on an Xbox newsfeed only a day ago "I'd be more worried if I was a ps4 owner" ??? Either you bought that quick or I think you need to remember what you type on other news posts. Luckily there will now be 26 headsets available to the 40 million Sony "fanboys" now you have cancelled your order :-) On a serious note I am not a fanboy to any company.. Never have been. Only one console I bought I regretted was an Atari Jaguar in the 90's but that was a disaster. I own all 3 current consoles and I think they're great in their own way - yes even the Wii U even though its mainly been neglected by most publishers it still has some great titles if you want something different than Microsoft/Sony offerings. Its a great time to be a gamer regardless what you own or prefer. No hard feelings Jason :-)
Jason 6 months ago