Nintendo NX is likely to use cartridges as physical media

Reports suggest once again that Nintendo plans to use cartridges in the Nintendo NX, thanks to advancements in the technology, which means that flash memory can pack more data onto small chips at a lower cost.

According to what industry insiders told the Wall Street Journal "Nintendo’s core fans include small children, who might scratch discs but find cartridges tougher to damage. Cartridges also allow games to load faster, are harder to copy and can be mass-produced faster than discs.

"They are “no doubt today’s best format to physically distribute games,” Atsushi Osanai, a former Sony employee, also told the site.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment on whether the NX would use cartridges, but it does seem more and more likely.

We don't know a lot about the console at the moment, although reports suggest that it will be usable both as a console with a television set and as a hand-held device, therefore cartridges would help keep the system portable.

Do you think that the Nintendo NX will use cartridges for its games?

Edited On 02 Sep, 2016

Comments
PHILIP 3 months ago
I always thought disc format was faster and cheaper to produce than cartridge as I am sure that was one of the reasons the Nintendo 64 struggled which was a shame as it was a great console... still got mine and had it modified with the ultra hdmi output so looks so much better on modern TV... back on topic I think cartridge system for the NX is best if it's portable.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 3 months ago
Philip - it used to be, especially on the SNES as they used to have hardware as part of the chipset to make the games better, like the FX chip which was in the actual cart. Now though they are basically memory cards - look at the vita! its a modified M2 card by the looks of it. I'm happy they are going the cart route, loading times will be minimal and installs wont be needed due to them being on solid state already. Plus with sizes up to 128gb it could lead to some pretty big games (space wise). Plus you could probably store save games on the carts so if you go to a mates with the card you can just load your saves off it. One other advantage will be if a company makes a game that's only a few gig they can save money and produce it on a smaller capacity cart, therefore possible lower price to consumers
PHILIP 3 months ago
Turnip - Definitely sounds like cartridge is best option then...
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 3 months ago
it really is - I think modern consoles just stuck with discs because it was the 'norm'. Flash memory is so cheap to produce and buy now, it just seems logical - plus load times will be great! I'm actually really interested in the NX, NX and Neo are gonna be my next big purchases after PSVR
PHILIP 3 months ago
Same here mate...I've got a VR sorted on launch from here am looking forward to it. Just hoping it don't give me headache or nauseous feeling.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 3 months ago
I dunno if i'll keep the VR, it all depends on how good it is. I've got from my catalogue for street price on a buy now pay next year, so I don't need to find 350 by next month - I just hope it can be adjusted 1 eye at a time or I can wear my glasses with it. I also hope they give some demos to try out - would hate having to buy the VR stuff before I can try it out. I might get that Dead or alive perv sim from hong kong (as its in english) to try out their VR mode haha!
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 3 months ago
Nintendo can't do anything wrong in my eyes: can't wait to pre-order the NX as long as Nintendo secure Senran Kagura 3 for it and Valkyrie Drive 1 & 2 ON THE SAME cartridge! Might hold out from purchasing Tekken 7 for Xbox One 'cause if the NX were to get it, that would be my console of choice ^0^!! Anyone know why Dead or Alive Game of the Year edition isn't on the Wii U at the minute? I'm sure it could handle a Dead or Alive fighting game with the multi-tier backdrops and all!
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 3 months ago
I used to care 'bout a VR headset but now, meh, could care less. I prefer being sat in front of a 3D, UltraHD telly in the lounge, tbbh ;) ;)!!
PHILIP 3 months ago
@fear.. Whilst I love watching films in 3d just as you do.... VR is a totally different experience surely ? My concern is I own a 3d TV with active glasses (battery powered) format. I enjoy a film but after two hours I know about it. I have a slight headache and my eyes are tired. I couldnt watch all the Hobbit extended edition had to have a break. I worry VR technology will do the same. If it does make me feel ill I will sell it before Christmas. I hope it don't my favourite games are horror and VR seems an awesome way of immersion that really appeals to me. Guess I'll find out next month.
PHILIP 3 months ago
@ turnip... dead or alive sim in VR.... excellent. sounds good to me.. just for sampling reasons of course lol
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 3 months ago
@Philip - look a this guy 'playing' it - I think he forgot where he was! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwQHIsH4Ew&feature=youtu.be&t=45s
PHILIP 3 months ago
Lol...... Looks like he was having fun ha ha ha ha ha