Let's Chat: PS4 Pro

Joe and George have been doing that YouTube thing once again, this time talking about Sony's latest conference and mostly, the PS4 Pro.

Also, did Sony get the price right for the PS4 Slim? And what about those new peripherals.

Watch the video below and join the conversation by commenting.

Edited On 09 Sep, 2016

Comments
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 months ago
I was thinking the 500GB slim would have been between £200-250, as it has less features than the Xbox ONE S, which costs £250. The Pro is a decent price though, it only costs £40 more than the slim, well worth it.
PHILIP 3 months ago
I expected the slim to be cheaper as well. Definitely upgrading and getting a pro though. I do like the illumination on the new dual shock being round the touch pad.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 3 months ago
I keep saying £299 in that video. I meant £229 :D
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 months ago
Actually Xbox ONE S is even cheaper at £200, with FIFA 17 being bundled with it, which costs £55 or £49.49 with EA access.
michael 3 months ago
I like the ps4 pro I would buy it from ShopTo but for some reason my back cards don't work on your site
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 3 months ago
@Michael - I have a few issues with my cards because I live in a flat and it has to match the bank account exactly. To fix I just give CS a ring, 5 mins later the can manually adjust it until it works - not been a problem since.
michael 3 months ago
called them age's go still does is I get visa warning
paulaw's avatar
paulaw 3 months ago
Its decent but I wanted a little more from it really. 4k disc drive would have been a bigger reason to upgrade for me and then I was surprised that the conference made a big thing about the Pro having HDR but followed up by announcing that a firmware update would be pushed to all current PS4's to also support HDR (if you have the display for it). I would like to upgrade to the Pro but unfortunately for me its a choice between that or VR, I cannot afford both so I will stick with VR and see how the Pro is received when its in the hands of gamers.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 months ago
I will be getting the Pro, 1080p/60fps has been a requirement since launch, then get PSVR later if it takes off and proves not to be a gimmick, plus PSVR will not be worth it on a standard PS4.
MARTIN 3 months ago
I'm not much of a tech person but is there any reason I wouldn't be able to put a 4tb hard drive e into the pro or even transfer the 2tb one that's in my current Ps4?
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 3 months ago
@martin - we need to see one to answer 100% but, a 4tb laptop sized HD is 15mm thick. the original ps4 only held a 12.5mm drive. so you had to either manually wire it up and sit it outside, cut the chassis or use an adapter. technically though, it work (I have 4tb in mine). in regards to using your drive, unless they changed it, you cant take the drive out and put it in another ps4. Not quite sure on the best way of doing it? maybe using the 1tb in the pro to backup as much of the 2tb you can (obv just delete games you have on disc that you can easily re-install) then put the 2tb in the pro - re-initialise the drive (it wipes it) an restore the data off the 1tb to the 2tb. Thats the old way of doing things - they said they were making it easier though, so the full release of ios 4.0 next week will probably give other methods
PAULA 3 months ago
I was so looking forward to this but I'm now left disappointed. Why on earth Sony didn't put in a 4K Blu-Ray player is beyond me. The machine is all geared up for 4K gaming but people want an all round 4K multi media console. I for one will be sticking with my current PS4 and will wait to see what the Scorpio will be like. Congratulations Sony, you've just lost a sale!
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 months ago
The PS4 pro will be updated to allow 4k blu ray.
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 3 months ago
Sony have already confirmed that the ps4 pro, will never play 4k blu rays, it is a dedicated game console only, it will only stream 4k content, this info is directly from sony.
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 3 months ago
And the scorpio will demolish this !!
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 months ago
It has been confirmed that it Is possible to be updated to play 4k blu ray, but has not been confirmed that it will happen. Considering it is a needed feature and was said to have it beforehand, plus Xbox ONE S and Scorpio has it, the Pro will definitely have it and will have it early 2017 at the latest, if not by the end of the year, well before Scorpio is released, but will you get Scorpio when it releases at £600? When it was the Neo details were that it would play 4K blu ray but play games in 4k but now it is the opposite, probably because following news of Scorpio they concentrated on getting games to play in 4k, as it is a GAME console and not a BLU RAY player, and so concentrate on 4K blu ray later. If you want 4k blu ray and a games console then your best bet is the Xbox ONE S.
Jason 3 months ago
Unfotunately for Sony the Xbox ppears to be most peoples choice moving forward now. This is just ridiculous
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 3 months ago
you just have to see it this way - 40m people worldwide, how many of those actually have a 4k TV? I would say about 1-2m maybe? (remember, its worldwide so also in countries where they don't have a lot of money or the latest tech). so, out of those 1-2m - how many use the consoles as their only method to play physical media? probably about 10-20% So your looking at about 200-400k people who will be unhappy that it doesn't have a 4k bluray in it. Most people just wanted a 1080/60 machine for a reason - because that's the kind of TV they have.... So yeah - some people will be annoyed it hasn't got one, but the vast majority will be fine - unfortunately it seems only those who are upset about things tend to make the most noise
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 3 months ago
sony have already said it will not play 4k blu ray as the drive in the ps4 pro is not a 4k blu ray drive, the only way to get 4k is to stream, so an update will not enable the console to play 4k blu rays as the drive in the pro is a standard blu ray drive, sorry bit this is all confirmed.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 months ago
In other new article on here says it is possible. "The PS4 does have a Blu-Ray drive and it has been said that it's possible Sony could easily upgrade this to 4K via a firmware update, although that's not been confirmed and indeed Andrew House confirmed that for now the focus is on games." It is possible but Sony are probably saying it not so people do not go buying one in case they can not get it working, or is just confusion that it will not happen at launch. Just keep any eye out for when it updates, and then get one then. http://www.shopto.net/news/52301/PS4-Pro-Specs-confirmed
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 3 months ago
oh right cool, well i will keep an eye out then, may be worth buying one of these if that happens
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 months ago
Technically there is no such thing as a 4K blu ray drive, on PCs you need either the manufacturer to update the firmware of the blu ray drive to read 4K discs or find media software that can read 4K discs. So them not including a 4k drive is not a matter of saving money, all they need is a bog standard blu ray drive, then software to read 4K discs. The only thing that could stop them being able to make the console read 4K discs is if there is a licencing issue, maybe MS bought the rights to using 4K blu rays in a game console for a year or something, and Sony can not, or the licence to allow 4k blu rays in the Pro is too much for Sony? It is how they updated the PS3 to play 3D blu rays when 3D blu rays were not even a thing when the PS3s were released.
CHRISTOPHER 3 months ago
I'm not buying a 4k tv Aswell not made of money
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 months ago
You do not need a 4K TV for the PS4 pro, an ordinary HD TV will still benefit, games will enhance from 900p (eg witness) or 30fps to 1080p/60fps, but if you do have a 4K TV then they will be better again, at 1440p and 60fps (eg the witness) but if games are in true 4k then they they likely be 30fps, and personally I prefer 60 than 30 fps, so 1080p/60fps>4k/30fps. MS have said though to benefit from the Scorpio you will need a 4K TV. I plan on getting the Pro on release, and get 4k TV later. I doubt I will buy a Scorpio unless I do have a 4k TV, but if games auto detect your tv and put the game in 1080p/60fps for HDTVs and 4k/30fps for 4k TVs then I am wondering may not get a 4k TV at all.