Sony Q&A warns Bright light and Mirrors can affect PS VR

Sony has revealed that bright light and shiny surfaces will cause issues for the PlayStation camera used to track PlayStation VR.

A new FAQ mentions that ambient lighting won't cause any issues, however the likes of direct sunlight and mirrors could cause the camera not to track properly, which in turn could cause issues with your PlayStation VR experience.

In reality, it's therefore best  dark room with no mirrors.

Here's the questions taken from the PlayStation Blog which explain this further:

Q: Does the room need to be dark when I play PS VR?

Ambient lighting will generally not affect PS VR gameplay. Bright light sources directly behind the person using PS VR, lights coming in from windows and room lights, and lights reflecting off mirrors can interfere with the PS Camera and interrupt the tracking of the LED lights on the headset. It is recommended to eliminate bright light sources behind the PS VR player.

Q: I heard that mirrors and shiny surfaces can be a problem when using PS VR. Is that true?

Yes, the PS Camera is expecting to see only a single set of tracking LEDs. Mirrors that are in the view of the PS Camera will confuse the tracking. Smaller shiny surfaces are generally fine, but if you have problems with tracking performance then these may be contributing to the issue.

The full Q&A is well worth a read as it has some interesting information, such as how long you should wear the headset for at a time and more. You can check out the Q&A here.

Edited On 11 Oct, 2016

Comments
Yasin 2 months ago
Vampires should be fine then
rosconet's avatar
rosconet 2 months ago
PSVR designed by Sony, built for vampires lol
PHILIP 2 months ago
I work nights so I am sort of half vampire so great news for me :-)
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 months ago
Be fine for me, recently moved the TV under the window so there wont be any light affecting it.
Bunglefluff's avatar
Bunglefluff 2 months ago
Wow! I bet this is gonna cause a lot of people problems. No mirrors, no windows. A lot of people have glass and metal furniture, equipment racks, tables etc, which are very reflective.
Bunglefluff's avatar
Bunglefluff 2 months ago
So basically you have to stand and play in a very dark room, curtains drawn, and lights out. That sounds safe......And people thought the Wii and Kinect were potentially dangerous. lol.
trancematic's avatar
trancematic 2 months ago
Flawed even before release, great timing and feedback from Sony when people are just about to have this item shipped.....
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 months ago
Doesn't have to be dark - just no bright lights that are the same as the lights on the move/headset (which are very bright and distinctive) - plus the mirrors is obvious as otherwise it will be reflecting your lights to a different area. Just basically don't play in an area with a mirror behind you and a spotlight shining into the camera.
trancematic's avatar
trancematic 2 months ago
I did orginally order it ,then cancelled, then reordered it and then cancelled it for the final time. Personally I'm not convinced VR in its current form with the console technology we got is the future,im no spring chicken and its probably another reason why i decided its just not for me, besides i haven't exactly got the vision of a teenager or some really younger 20s/30s person. And I'm lazy, i dont particularly want to be flapping my arms around or standing up while playing games which i generally do for Hours. With the new Gears 4 Horde,MW remaster, Battlefield 1 and watchdogs 2 and the Last Guardian just around the corner i don't need VR,plus i have the Pro on order ?
PHILIP 2 months ago
@trancmatic Its just another way of experiencing games in a hopefully great alternative new way. Never tried VR so come Monday I may hate it who knows ? I loved Zelda Skyward sword but the motion controls done my head in so I get where you are coming from wanting to sit down the classic way just a pad and two thumbsticks. I am 43 years old so not exactly wanting to jump about myself especially after a long shift at work. Saying that I have 2 very excited young lads wanting a go with "Dads new Gadget" come the end of the week so it will be getting plenty of use in my house :-) The Mrs is even "interested" which has taken me some time to take in.....
Jason 2 months ago
Trance that sounds very sensible id say your much better buying the new console than VR, which is mostly a load of trash games showing you what VR can do but offering nothing really. There is a few gems but there every few andfar between. The first time .you put it on youll be like wow thats amazing but youll want after 2 hours to go back to fifa or mafia or cod or battlefield. Its not something you can just sit playingand playing its a novelty item so imo your making a wise choice i had some good fun with my VRbut truth be told if you offered 600 quid back for it id take it and get rid. Whereby a new console is a much more long term high usage item. If you got loads of cash VR is fine to just throw at side and use occasionallybut ibet 95% of people will use it on a ratio of less than 10% compared to normal gaming and that sany form of VR not just PSVR
trancematic's avatar
trancematic 2 months ago
Phillip my girlfriend wanted to also get me to buy the VR thing but i said to her that seriously i wouldn't play it and to me its like when the Nintendo Wii first hit the market, it took the world by stormy went out and bought one but within a few weeks the novelty had wore of and i even boxed it back up and dumped it in the garage with all my other gaming stuff from the past, same with The Nintendo Wii U,enjoyed it for a few months if that and dumped in a crate in the garage as it just sat there below my Tv getting no playtime whatsoever with no 3rd party support.
trancematic's avatar
trancematic 2 months ago
Jason. Gaming has been my passion for 30 plus years and generally anything game related i will buy at the drop of a hat, most of the new games and certainly new consoles, just had my gears 4 special edition s last Friday which is awesome and I'm looking forward to the Pro in November along with a fair few games. But i have to start realising some things are not for me, if i had kids like Phillip i would have bought it for sure but i dont,this i would have been impressed and immersed in for a matter of days ,after that i would have gone back to normal playing of games like battlefield 1 ,watchdogs 2 ,Cod Infinite warfare.....For me its just a complete waste of money when i think about it, but i appreciate others will love it, especially the younger generation and not a older crock like me,30 years ago if this was out then i would have been all over this like a rash....
PHILIP 2 months ago
Well I think sitting down with a controller in a normal way is how we all will prefer regarding what brand console we use. Seen lots of gimmicks over my 30 years of gaming... some great some awful.. When Kinect came out had a fantastic laugh with it over Xmas.... come Easter never touched it again but I still enjoyed it totally at the time. As I said after this weekend I could think what a load of crap VR is or I may absolutely love it. I am looking forward to finding out that's for sure.
PHILIP 2 months ago
@trancematic The Wii U did have some great games on it though I've still got mine although it does rarely get played.
LONIA 2 months ago
Jason was so happy he was at forefront of vr with rift last week..so happy with his decision..now 2 days til pace and vr is shit...fifa was shit and pro evo was class a few weeks ago as well...mmmm what to believe eh
Jason 2 months ago
I wasnt at the forefront of anything im happy with my choice as its the best choice. But to play an hour or two a week given the chance id return it. Its a gimmick its a fun gimmick but not worth the potentail huge cost of expensivelaptop and headest or PS Pro VRwands and camera, its a bloody fortune and its a wow the first time you see it but when it wears off most off the games are crap novel ty game like the kinect, be interesting to here ppls feedback day one and day 60, and useage day one and day 60. either way hope everyone enjoys it and gets the most out of it
PHILIP 2 months ago
Jason how come your VR cost £600 ? What did you buy ?
Jason 2 months ago
An Oculus Rift for my laptop as im also hoping its what Scorpulus uses too.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 months ago
I agree Jason, some of the games are just games for the sake of showing off the VR so they are more towards tech demos, but then you have the TR level, Drive Club, Eve (both games), Robinson the journey, 100 ft robot golf, Resident evil 7 and others which are real games and not just tech demos. Plus like I said, if you aren't using it for a VR game you can have an up to 260 inch screen to watch films and play regular games on without sing the TV which I recon will be a big thing - just like how most Vitas out there are purely used as remote play devices now. I got the final Studio Ghibli film on bluray on Monday (when Marnie was there) so minus 'ocean waves' which isn't out yet, I have all 22 films, I can't wait to watch them all on the massive screen as they never came out at the cinema over here. I just hope its decent quality seeing as its 960/1080 per eye
Jason 2 months ago
Yeah I can see the advatage of that being a good use of it. I have Eve Valkeryie and its ok but its repetitive i thought fun for an hour then i lost interest. My biggest issue is the best most interesting games ive found are the walking about like scary ones etc such as dreadhalls super freaky but i have to stop after 3-4 mins as moving about just makes me instant boke, im cool with it all but not games where you take a charachter and walk about its just really horridmy brain cant take it most ppl seem to be the same which is unfortuate, the things ive enjoyed most are experiences like the space one where you live the live of neil armstromng etc and go to the moon that stuffs neat again but its strictly not gaming i alos go t to experience autism today using it as i know someone close with autism its was cool to see what they live with
PHILIP 2 months ago
It's walking around horror games that I really bought the VR for so if it makes me feel sick and ill I'll be gutted
trancematic's avatar
trancematic 2 months ago
I think the user feedback and support from developers will decide the fate of VR,personally i feel this is not the future, not yet anyway.
Jason 2 months ago
Be interesting to see how you fare Philip with the walking about even playing minecraft I was seriously ill after less than two minutes. And just to be clear im talking about walking around through the eyes of a charachter using a controller to control where you walk. Personally I cant see how anyone can do this and not be sick. Feedback would be cool maybe just maybe its to do with oculus and PSVR wont cause the nausea but id imagine both do the same and its the folling of your brain that causes the problem and I dont believe that can be bypassed however some may have a higher tolerance level than others but my entire fmaily all were the exact same and took heaset off quickly saying thats a horrible expeirrience for that reason it will never become as big as they want it to be IMO or it wont be big in that type of game for sure but thats where most ppl want to use it its certainly where i wanted to use it