Ok, information is somewhat sparse, but here’s what we’ve scraped together so far….
- Lara is 21 years old in this game.
- It’s not only a reboot of the franchise, but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no “real” Lara model this time.
- They’re doing performance capturing with this game.
- Brutal deaths are to be expected. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest, and then closing her eyes after she’s dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her, before another falls and crushes her head.
- Crystal Dynamics won’t talk specifics on weapons, but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol.
- The “lock on” targeting system has gone, and the game now has a free aim system in place which Crystal Dynamics says can compete with any of their competitors.
- There are base camps in the game, where you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara’s abilities. You’ll also be able to use the base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You’ll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are other humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.
“I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors, there was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide.”
Darrell Gallagher, the Studio Head at Crystal Dynamics.
“It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor, as the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara’s athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara’s for the taking.
Director Noah Hughes.
I’m very, very excited!