NHL 22 is one of the biggest leaps forward in graphics in franchise history.
Players who start playing NHL 22 on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One will be able to transfer their HUT Team value and progress to PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X|S within the NHL 22 title, meaning that:
● Users can protect 20 player items + Coach in their current lineup and transfer those over to a new console.
● Once content is transferred from Gen4 to Gen5, that content on Gen4 will be converted to untradable for security reasons.
This one-time content migration will be available in December 2021.
For the first time ever, the legendary Frostbite™ engine comes to EA SPORTS NHL® 22. Bringing massive visual upgrades to both current and next-generation console games alike, NHL 22 is one of the biggest leaps forward in graphics in franchise history. From overhauled player likeness and cloth animations that bring players to life to dynamic lighting creating truly immersive game environments, there is improvement everywhere you look.
Across all game versions, Frostbite delivers huge visual upgrades that dramatically enhance realism. From overhauled player likenesses and all new eye animations that track and react to the action around them, the superstars of the NHL have never felt more alive. Everywhere you look, players can expect upgrades including:
● Overhauled Player Likeness: Over 100 star players and generic player head models have been totally rebuilt from the ground up to reflect the current season and bring more detail to your favorite players.
● Uniform Improvements: micro-detail on fabrics and component branding for patches/logos is delivered in higher resolution making every stitch visible. All done without impacting performance, memory and disc utilization.
● Hair shader upgrade across all players: borrowing hair shader technology from the EA SPORTS FIFA franchise, players have performant hair that lights more realistically.
● Eye Animations (PA2 Procedural Awareness): players are now more expressive than ever before as PA2 technology breathes new life into them with reactive eye movement. Players’ eyes track to take notice of primary events happening around them (ex. Looking for a pass) as well as secondary glances at nearby targets (ex. Opposing players).
● Improved Skin shading: new skin rendering combined with improvements in lighting adds more realism to player faces than ever.
● Cloth Animation: as players move, so do their uniforms. New animations add physics to cloth materials that react accurately in response to player movements.
Stick Physics: game physics get an upgrade with new physically-true stick interactions that result in:
● Battles for the puck that are fair and based on skill
● Stick-on-body contact that results in more accurate penalty calls in key moments like poke-checks.
● More realistic movement along the boards without sticks poking through geometry
Augmented Reality: key game stats and information are projected directly onto environmental surfaces in the game through an augmented reality-like visual package that seamlessly blends info with action. Bringing more information directly into the game lets you better manage your strategy by staying on top of vital stats in real time without pausing out to the game menu to search for them.
New X-Factor Animations: all new player animations exclusive to Superstar X-Factor abilities add more dynamic action on ice during key moments like Pickups, Deflections, Protecting the Puck and more.
Feel the power of Superstar X-Factors, a game-changing system allowing you to unleash unique player abilities that make stars feel like stars where their time on the ice is more influential than ever. Reserved for only the more elite players in the league, Superstar X-Factor abilities separate the best from the rest, and make superstars feel like their real life counterparts. The game features two tiers of Superstar X-Factor abilities assigned to players; game-changing Zone abilities and enhanced Superstar abilities. Each player receives one Zone ability that defines them and a secondary set of Superstar abilities. The actual function of any Superstar X-Factor ability always remains the same, but it’s level of boost changes between Zone or Superstar assignments. True to the game, Superstar X-Factors are inspired by the signature traits the league’s top players are known for. Whether it’s a blistering slapshot, precision passing, explosive speed on the rush or lightning-fast reflexes in front of the net, Superstar X-Factor abilities span all positions on the ice bringing an all-new layer of class-based competition and strategy to the game.
Players are assigned one Zone ability that defines them, giving them a more unique ability that sets them apart from the competition. Zone abilities are always on, activating automatically under the right conditions. For example, a Zone ability that enhances long passing completion engages when a long pass attempt is made (however, it has no effect on short passing). A particular Zone ability is available to only a limited number of players, and in some cases, even exclusive, meaning some players have an ability unique to them that no other player in the game has.
All Superstar X-Factor players also receive a set of Superstar abilities. They are less powerful than Zone abilities but provide a skill boost to the skill area they represent.
Superstar X-Factors in Game Modes
Superstar X-Factors bring elite abilities to life in every major game mode including Hockey Ultimate Team, World of Chel, Franchise, and Be a Pro. Bringing an all new dimension of strategy, Superstar X-Factors dramatically refreshes the game experience across all of the most popular ways to play.
HOCKEY ULTIMATE TEAM
HUT is an NHL 22 game mode that allows you to create your fantasy lineup of NHL players, alumni, and icons, and compete with them online. Create your squad, collect rewards and become the Ultimate Team.
WORLD OF CHEL
The WOC multiplayer hub features more ways to play than ever before. Build your custom player and compete across a variety of modes including EASHL, Ones and Threes arcade.
BE A PRO
The Be A Pro experience gives you the chance to live the life of an NHL player, on and off the ice. Impress the front office, chase greatness as you earn your spot on the first line, compete for the Stanley Cup and break through to become the league’s next best.
Build your dynasty across multiple seasons in Franchise Mode as you take the helm of your favorite NHL team or create the expansion team of your dreams. Scout players, manage coaching and line chemistry, and experience the frenzy of the Trade Deadline in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.